The Notes will pay, if held to maturity:
- One hundred per cent of the principal amount invested; and a Variable Return, if any, linked to the change in the value (positive or negative) of the spot rate of Gold (the Reference Asset), represented by the price of one troy ounce of gold, stated in US dollars. The performance (positive or negative) of the Reference Asset will be measured from its Initial Price determined on 22 September 2009 to its Final Price determined on 22 March 2013
- If the Variable Return is zero or less than zero, then the Notes will not pay a Variable Return
||28 September 2009
||28 March 2013
|Selling Agent Fees:
||USD1.50 per Note (1.50% of the Principal Amount)
- Principal protected at maturity
- Eligible for registered accounts
|Gold – price of one troy ounce
Are the Notes right for you?
You may be suited to become a Noteholder if, among other benefits, you: (1) are looking for safety of principal if held to maturity; (2) want the potential to earn a return that may be greater than what is available from a traditional fixed term deposit but with similar risks to your principal investment; (3) are prepared to assume risks with respect to a return tied to the value of the Reference Asset; and (4) you believe the Reference Asset will depreciate in the medium term.
The Notes do not provide investors with a return or income stream prior to maturity. The effective yield to maturity of the Notes may be less than that which would be payable on a conventional fixed-rate or floating-rate debt instrument. The Notes are generally more suitable for purchasing and holding up to maturity. Potential investors should consult with their own investment, legal and tax advisers to determine the suitability.
Early trading charges/Secondary market
HSBC Securities (Canada) Inc intends, in normal market conditions, to use reasonable efforts to provide a secondary price for the Notes as principal, but reserves the right not to do so in the future in its sole discretion, without providing prior notice to the Noteholders. Sale of Notes prior to maturity may subject to an early trading charge as follows:
||Early trading charge
|Issue date to and including 28 December 2009
|29 December 2009 to and including the maturity date
During the term of the Notes, you may inquire as to the net asset value of a Note or the level of the underlying Gold spot rate and how they relate to the Variable Return that may be payable under the Notes, if any, by contacting HSBC at the number below.
Please see the information statement for further details or contact your investment adviser.
Noteholders should carefully review and consider all risks set forth in the information statement with their investment adviser, including:
- The Notes will not constitute insured deposits
- The Principal Amount is payable only if Notes are held to maturity
- Noteholders may not receive a Variable Return
- There is no guaranteed secondary market for the Notes and if such a market develops, there can be no assurance that it will be liquid
- Price or other movements in the Reference Asset are unpredictable
- Noteholders only participate in 40% of the downside performance of the Reference Asset
- Noteholders have no ownership interest in the Reference Asset
- Notes could be redeemed prior to maturity as a result of Special Circumstances
- Currency risk
Right of Cancellation - A subscriber may cancel an order to purchase a Note (or cancel the purchase of a Note if the Note has been issued) by providing written instructions to HSBC directly or through his or her investment adviser any time up to two days after the later of (i) the day on which the agreement to purchase the Note is entered into and (ii) deemed receipt of this information statement. Such notice should be directed to: Senior Vice President, HSBC Derivative Products Group, 70 York Street, 8th Floor, Toronto, ON M5J 1S9, Fax +416 868-3088. This rescission right does not extend to Noteholders buying a Note in any secondary market.
Please see the information statement for further details. Please do not hesitate to call us at +1 866 511 4722 or send us an
e-mail for more information.
Important: Please read the disclaimer carefully.