The Notes will pay, if held to maturity:
- 100% of the principal amount invested;
- a Variable Return, if any, linked to the increase, if any, in the value of a notional index basket comprised of three (3) equally weighted Asian indices. The change in value of each Index will be measured from its closing level on the Index Set Date to the arithmetic average of the closing levels of each Index on specified preset quarterly Observation Dates. The performance of each Index (positive or negative) will then be weighted equally and multiplied by a Participation Rate of 60% to determine the Variable Return, if any
||17 April 2009
||17 April 2015
||The 15th of each of April, July, October, and January.
||3.00% paid to dealers upfront
- Eligible for registered accounts?
- Principal protected at maturity
- Linked to three(3) equally weighted Asian indices
- Return based on quarterly averaging
||Index Component Weight
|Nikkei 225 Stock SM Index
|Hang Seng Index ®
|MSCI Singapore IndexSM
Are the Notes right for you?
You may be suited to become a Noteholder if, among other benefits, you: (1) are looking for safety of principal protection if held to maturity; (2) want the potential to earn a return which may be greater than what is available from a traditional fixed term deposit; (3) want exposure to an investment that is linked to the performance of global equities; (4) want to diversify your exposure to more than one equity index; (5) want to decrease the effect of negative changes in the level of an Index; and (6) are investing for the longer term and believe that global equity markets will appreciate.
The Notes do not provide investors with a return or income stream prior to maturity. The effective yield to maturity of the Notes may be less than that which would be payable on a conventional fixed-rate or floating-rate debt instrument. The Notes are generally more suitable for purchasing and holding up to maturity. Potential investors should consult with their own investment, legal and tax advisers to determine the suitability.
Early trading charges/Secondary market
HSBC Securities (Canada) Inc. intends, in normal market conditions, to use reasonable efforts to provide a secondary price for the Notes as principal, but reserves the right not to do so in the future in its sole discretion, without providing prior notice to the Noteholders. Sale of Notes prior to maturity may be subject to an Early Trading Charge as follows:
||Early trading charge
|Issue Date to and including October 16, 2009
|October 19, 2009 to and including April 16, 2010
|April 19, 2010 to and including October 15, 2010
|October 18, 2010 to and including the Maturity Date
During the term of the Notes, you may inquire as to the net asset value of a Note or the level of the underlying Indices and how they relate to the Variable Return that may be payable under the Notes, if any, by contacting HSBC at the number below. Please see the Information Statement for further details or contact your investment adviser.
Noteholders should carefully review and consider all risks set forth in the Information Statement with their investment adviser, including:
- Asian equity market exposure
- Notes will not constitute insured deposits under Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act (Canada)
- The Principal Amount is protected only if Notes are held to maturity and there is no assurance the Notes will pay any Variable Return
- No guaranteed secondary market
- The historical or pro forma performance of each index is not an indication of future performance
- Noteholders only participate in 60% of the upside performance of the Index Basket
- Special Circumstances – HSBC may redeem the Notes prior to maturity under certain limited circumstances, including a change in the law, regulation, taxation regulations or taxation practice or other circumstances not within the control of the Bank
- Conflicts of interest with the Calculation Agent
Right of Cancellation – A subscriber may cancel an order to purchase a Note (or cancel the purchase of a Note if the Note has been issued) by providing written instructions to HSBC directly or through his or her investment adviser any time up to 48 hours after the later of (i) the day on which the agreement to purchase the Note is entered into and (ii) deemed receipt of this Information Statement. Such notice should be directed to: Senior Vice President, HSBC Derivative Products Group, 70 York Street, 8th Floor, Toronto, ON M5J 1S9, Fax (416) 868 3088. This rescission right does not extend to Noteholders buying a Note in any secondary market.
Please see the Information Statement for further details. Please do not hesitate to call us at +1 866 511 4722 or send us an
e-mail for more information.
Important: Please read the disclaimer carefully.